Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Format

The format of a task or project is extremely important to its accomplishment. I came up with a format for memorizing the Bible that works very well for me, so I thought I'd share it, especially for those of you wanting to get on board with this.

On Monday, I sit down with my Bible, sticky notes, packing tape, scissors, and a pen, and set to work. I read through the chapter(s) from which I'm memorizing, then make my note cards for the week. (I write the verses on sticky notes, laminate them with the tape, and trim the edges.) This usually takes about an hour, which is why I do it on Mondays (it's my longest day off of work). I usually mark small numbers for the beginnings of verses so that I can separate them if I have more than one verse on a card (usually I do one card for each day, so this is fairly common), and write the reference on the back so I can quiz myself later. Then I just keep the card for the day in my pocket and look at it several times a day to memorize it.



At the end of the week, on Sunday night, I sit down with some paper and a pencil and write everything I memorized that week. It helps to cement it in my mind, and lets me see if I need to fix any punctuation or other mistakes. Then I grab my study Bible and read through the passage and all of the notes that go along with it. This enlightens me to new ideas and hidden Hebrew connotations I otherwise would not have known about. The best part about the end of the week though, is closing my eyes, and slowly whispering that week's verses, imagining every word vividly taking place with God's glorious hand in all of it. This is when the scriptures come alive for me.

I'm sure it's different for everyone, but when I picture God separating the waters, pulling clouds from the ocean, mist filling the air, water droplets scattering, to create the sky, I find myself in utter awe and wonder at the Lord.

So far, this format has worked great for me. Finishing on Sunday nights helps my heart prepare for what is to come the next morning - a new week's worth of verses - and reminds me of all that I have learned. I'm sure this format will slowly change and evolve as this project progresses, but for the beginning stages, it's absolutely sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment